Saturday, August 29, 2009

Urban Wildlife

My hotel in the city I recently visited looked out over a small park. Just one block square surrounded by traffic and tall buildings. Over the course of my visit I had observed people walking quickly to catch the metro or the bus, homeless men lounging on the park benches, and pigeons gracing the head of a statue of a long dead war hero, but I had not seen any animals, in particular, no squirrels. In my opinion, any park with a tree needs squirrels. They’re funny. It made me sad that despite how pretty the park was, there wasn’t any wildlife to make it truly a little slice of nature in the city. On the last day of my visit I was watching the people scurry to their important appointments when I saw one lone squirrel dash from the middle of the park across the sidewalk and up the nearest tree. Maybe living in a big city wouldn’t be so bad after all…

No comments:

Post a Comment